We are two tenant associations who joined together to defend ourselves against a corporate real estate investment hydra that seeks to expel us from our homes in order to maximize their profits.

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Explosion and Fire on East 4th St.

Last night, April 20th, there was an explosion on the roof of the Mono + Mono Restaurant. A fireball went 6 floors up in the air. We all ran out of our buildings to see what happened and to save our skins. We didn't actually know what had happened until we were out on the street. Flames continued to leap above the 6th floor of 118. When the NYFD arrived the fire was put out swiftly. The blast was on the roof in the back of the 1 story building, and it shattered the windows of the building directly behind it, which is the Hells Angels residence. Some said that 2 floor of Hells Angels building were in flames. This  morning there is plywood covering those glassless windows.
I believe the explosion occurred at about 12:45am. We were able to get back into our apartments at around 2:30am.

This is looking down onto the roof of Mono + Mono.

The boarded windows of the Hells Angels building.

I must give a shout out to the New York City Fire Dept. They were on it fast and took care of it. They were all down right friendly and more than kind and helpful to those of us stressed out and freezing of the street. They stuck around for quite a while and were back this morning checking it all out again. Can't say enough good things about them.

Some more pix from BOWERY BOOGIE.

More pix from EV Grieve

Again. The Fire Dept. Can't say enough thanks.


  1. One positive outcomes of the fire is that it will keep the Frat boys, shrill sorority chicks, and the hordes of hillbillies at bay until the joint re-opens.... if it does.

  2. I read on EV Grieve that Mono Mono will only be closed a few days. So its looks the like the Spring Breakers and the Hordes of Hillbillies will be back.

  3. Everyone should know that several apartments in the building next to Mono + Mono (114) are completely uninhabitable. Fire blasted through windows and water damage due to the fire hose. Everyone is safe but will be displaced from their homes for weeks, if not months and will need to replace all belongings. Mono + Mono will NOT be opening in a few days, the restaurant and kitchen are completely damaged.

  4. I am SO sorry for the tenants of 114. Anyone know who/where they are? Maybe we on the block can get together and help them? A benefit or something?

  5. SRJ Websoltions is world leader in website development services and is only webside designing company who deliver the project on time.

    website designing company in noida
    website designing company in Noida

  6. Battery Mantra is Authorized exide car battery dealer in Noida and Greater Noida. We are providing our service in Indirapuram, Delhi, Ashok Nagar.

    Exide Battery Dealer in Noida
    Battery Dealer in Noida
    Authorized Battery Dealer in Noida
    Car Battery Dealer in Noida
    Car Battery Dealer
    Exide Battery Dealer